Back to Project Updates
Wightman Project Updates
Red Arrow Highway Union Pier Corridor Improvements Project
Most recent project updates to be added here including dates and times of upcoming sessions, etc.
Current status: This project is currently in the bidding process with MDOT, and is anticipated on the July 10, 2020 letting. Construction is currently planned to start in late July, three weeks later than originally anticipated. (As of 05.28.2020)
To be added to a list to receive an email when this site is updated, please email with the subject of Red Arrow Highway-Union Pier.
Please note: this website is specific to the road and streetscape project. For information for the sanitary sewer project being done by GRSD Sewer Authority, please visit this site.
PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSION PRESENTATION MATERIALS
A public information session took place on Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at New Buffalo Township Hall. The following information was presented at the session. Here are the slides presented by the County Engineer that evening. Presentation.pdf
Here are maps shared at the meeting, please note file size is large.
The Public Meeting received nice coverage in Harbor Country News.
The Berrien County Road Department has worked closely with New Buffalo Township and Chikaming Township to develop visioning plans for this project. They will continue to work together during design and construction to ensure the project is a success for all involved. Following is a brief project overview.
- Red Arrow Highway from Community Hall Road to Berrien Street
- Union Pier Road/Town Line Ave approximately 350 feet west of intersection
- Reconstruction and streetscaping at the intersection with Union Pier Rd/Townline Rd
- Mill and Resurface from Community Hall Road to Union Pier Self Storage and from Goodwin to Berrien Street
- A three lane section, including a dedicated center left turn lane for business access
- Sidewalk for pedestrian access at and around the intersection of Red Arrow Hwy and Union Pier Rd
- An activated pedestrian crossing system for East-West crossing of Red Arrow Hwy
- A 10 foot wide non-motorized path extending from Community Hall Road to Berrien Street
- A new public restroom facility
- Improved stormwater infrastructure in the intersection
- Additional parking areas for access to shops and restaurants
Below is a rendering of concepts developed by Antero Group.
The primary need to be addressed by this project is improving safety along this section of the Red Arrow Highway corridor for both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. With many popular restaurants, cafes, and shops along the corridor, the project will provide a safe, walkable space to access and enjoy the vibrant local community. The corridor has been reimagined to include sidewalk, a non-motorized path, and various other streetscape elements at the intersection of Red Arrow Highway and Union Pier Road. In addition, Red Arrow Highway from Community Hall Road to Berrien Street will be converted from a four lane to a three lane section with a dedicated center left turn lane.
- Berrien County Road Department
- New Buffalo Township
- Chikaming Township
- Wightman (Project Design)
- Prein & Newhof (Water & Sewer Projects in the area)
business owner information
Business owners will be receiving email correspondence with individual access information by mid-November. To reassure you are on this list, please email
with the subject of Red Arrow Highway-Union Pier. Please also include the address and name of your business in the request.
30% Plan Completion August 29, 2019
Business owner access meetings September 2019
60% Plan Completion October 11, 2019
Business owner access review November 2019
90% Plan Completion December 6, 2019
Submittal to MDOT January 17, 2020
Final Plan Submission to MDOT March 27, 2020
MDOT Letting Date July 10, 2020
Construction Start Date July 2020
Construction Completion Fall 2021
Questions or concerns can be addressed to any of the following via email or phone:
Kevin Stack, P.E. Berrien County Road Dept
Office: (269) 925-1196 Ext: 4421